Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

T is for Trans-Siberian Railway



“A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles.” ~ Edward Abbey

One thing that I have not been able to get used to with living in Los Angeles is the pace of everything. People here are always in a rush to get somewhere whether it be walking, driving or whatever else. I'm that driver who will be cruising along at 65 or 70 even on the freeways. When I'm walking, I'm often passed. I'm in no hurry anywhere. I feel that slowing down in life is one way to not only appreciate more, but see more too. The trans-siberian railway would be just that, way to slow down your life and see parts of the world very few people see. That is why T is for the trans-siberian railway. 

Image courtesy of wikipedia


The trans-siberian railway runs from Moscow to the Sea of Japan. It is the longest railway in the world with branches reaching parts of China, Mongolia and Manchuria. The construction started in the late 18th century and was completed in 1916. Its completion had a great impact on Siberian agriculture as goods could now be transported to larger cities. 

As mentioned in my post for "M", I am hoping to complete the Mongol Rally. A stop on one of the lines would be Ulaan-Bataar. My plans do not stop when I reach the end of the rally. I do intend to take the railway back to continue my adventure. I know it is still just a dream and at least two years away but I already am getting excited at just the thought.

Does the tran-siberian railway sound like something you would do? What about some other railway systems?
Image courtesy of Internet Auto Guide

No comments:

Post a Comment