Pages

Monday, December 17, 2012

Adventure: Alt-J

Going on an adventure is about new experiences. Going some place new, trying new foods, doing something you have never done before. A big part of that is keeping an open mind to these new experiences. While I keep an open mind to just about everything, music is one thing that I'm always keeping an open mind and ear for.

A couple weeks ago I was introduced to the band named "Alt-J". The thing that caught my attention with them is their style. They have a style that is very much their own. Proceeded to purchase their album and listened to them pretty much nonstop over the next week. Next thing knew, they were coming to Hollywood for a concert.

A quick background on Alt-J. They are a quartet from Britain. They all met when while attending Leeds University. They started off recording and producing their own music before being signed by Infectious Records. Their stop in Hollywood was part of a world tour during which the will have traveled across the US and Canada, down to Australia and then back through parts of Europe. Needless to say, I'm just a little jealous. If you want to read more about them, their website is here.

The concert was at the Fonda Theater. I arrived at the show about an hour early. The Blue Palms Brewhouse is in the same building as the Fonda. This was a gem. They had 24 beers on tap that are constantly changing plus a full bar. Not to mention the food. I couldn't help myself and had to try the lobster mac-n-cheese. I love lobster and I love mac-n-cheese, so that was a no-brainer. This was a great way to spend the time before the show and during the opening band.

I made my way into the venue and was presently surprised. It was a pretty small venue which I enjoy. It feels more personal. I was no more than 15 feet from the stage. I could actually see the band as opposed to a large venue such as the Hollywood Bowl where I find myself watching the lights and the video screens more than the stage because I can't see anything.

Alt-J went through their set list. While I enjoyed their album, Alt-J was much more entertaining live. It was awesome to see their mix of instruments and beats. Their unique vocals and the stage presence had you feeling like they were having fun up there. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. They went through their set list and even came back for an encore, ending with one of my favorite songs of theirs. It is called "Taro".


In the end, it was a good adventure. I had discovered an awesome little brewery. I found a nice little venue and had a great time. Thinking about it, that is what every adventure should be about; having a great time. It doesn't have to be a big extravagant adventure, sometimes the smaller ones are the most exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment