Pages

Sunday, December 2, 2012

My Dream Adventures

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
- Lao-Tzu
 
If the name of my blog wasn't obvious, I love to go on adventures, both big and small. I'm always looking for the next fun thing to do. The only way to get anywhere is to start going. When Lao-Tzu said his famous quote, the only way to do that was to literally start walking. In this day and age, it takes a little more planning. The list that follows are what I hope to be my next 5 big adventures. Putting them here is my first step. Now the only way to continue is forward. 
 
5) Summit Mt Whitney
 
For those that don't know, Mt' Whitney is the highest point in the lower 48 states. I've always thought how cool been one to try and go higher than the rest. What is the best way to do that? Go to the top of the highest point! The tricky part with this lies in getting the permit. Because it is a popular destination, the only way to get a over night permit (which you need for this hike), is through a lottery. This means I could easily get it this year or I could never get it. However, if I don't try I will never get it. The applications open February 1st.

4) Earn Spartan Race Trifecta Badge

Part of adventure is pushing yourself. Finding out how far you can go. The latest craze to do this is these long mud run/ obstacle course runs. I am signed up for the January 26th race down here in Southern California. This is the first of three races that I will have to do in a calendar year to achieve the coveted (by some) Spartan Trifecta badge. To read more about the Trifecta badge, click here. If you want to see what the Spartan Race is about, click here. If you feel up to it, sign up for one. Start your own adventure. But if you do, just promise me you'll tell me about it.


 
 
3) Mountain Bike in Utah

Yes, that is what the guy was doing in the movie "127 Hours". Sure there is the chance something like that could happen to me. But if you don't risk anything then you will lead a dull life. Utah has some of the most beautiful mountain biking area in the country. I would love to just spend a weekend or a week biking about the wilderness getting lost then finding my way back. It's very rare to find someplace without technology these days but I have a feeling this would be one of those places. Plus, Arches National park is in Utah. I would love to go there and explore too. If I got really lucky I would find the place to do this. Would I do it? Absolutely! I would go just to do this. But I figured I might as well get some great mountain biking in while I'm at it.

 
2) Wingsuit Flying

If skydiving make you feel like you're floating, I imagine wingsuit flying would be like flying. A wingsuit basically turns a human into a flying squirrel. You can soar long distances to increase your free fall time. The hard part about this one is that you need to be certified to sky dive by yourself first as well as have several hundred dives. So this is definitely one I would have to work up to but it is on my list to do. 


 
 
 1) Sail Around the World

This one is a combination of adventure, exploring and surfing for me. I have always wanted to travel the world and explore different places. Throw in my passion for surfing, and you have a perfect adventure. Like the wingsuit adventure, this will have to be something I work towards. But when it happens, it will be very much worth all the work that went into it.
 
 
 
These are the adventures I'd love to go on next. They will take some time and patience obviously. But the only way they will ever happen is to start working towards them, taking my footsteps towards the 1000 mile journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment